Tuesday, June 24, 2014

WELCOME to the BORN-in-AMERICA CLUB !

WELCOME ! 1st, this is NOT a club that is against anybody. We do NOT have any bias or discrimination or prejudice towards people who were born outside of the USA, albeit for the purpose of unity of this club, those who were NOT born in the USA cannot be a member of this club. This club, or society, is for those of ALL skin colors & ethnicities (ie "hyphenated ethnicities" such as Dutch-American, Italian-American...et al...for those who can trace their ancestory back to a specific area, region, or country of the world. For those who do not know their ancestory and were born here in the USA they are "just Americans." And in some cases those of us who do know our ancestory sometimes prefer to also be "just Americans" rather than our hyphenated identity. I myself have Dutch ancestory going back to my great-grandfather on my dad's side, while my mom's side is also Dutch but are even further removed from the immigration process than my dad's side. In fact, some of my relatives on my mom's side fought in the Civil War (and one died due to illness contracted while fighting in the war). And I spend a lot of time around southern California where most people know includes a LOT of new immigrants, especially Latinos from various parts of central America. It's awesome that immigrants keep coming, and since we all come from immigrant ancestors, we can all celebrate immigration (except, perhaps, native-Americans who may or may not have "always" been here, right?). The point, however, of this club is to celebrate American pride & being "true Americans." Those who weren't born here also will become or can become "true Americans" but it takes time. They can have their "born in Mexico" clubs or "born in Germany" clubs that "born in America people" (BIA's) can't join. No offense, not exclusive, just  a fact. Women have ladies clubs that men can't join right? This is NOT about being exclusive or about "supremacy" but simply about being justly proud in a non-abrasive manner about being born here in the good ol' USA ! For that matter, if you are an American and wanted to become Mexican it would take some time and paperwork and "establishing yourself" etc just as we require here in the USA (or did for many years, I'm not sure what's happening now as of 6/24/14 with all the current immigration issues). I myself am proud of having Dutch ancestory and from time-to-time celebrate my hyphenated cultural heritage, while at other times I think of myself simply and purely as American, despite my "ethnic name." I don't have a name like Smith or Jones etc, but a name most people 'in the know" would recognize as Dutch (albeit in some cases it is mistaken as an Asian name, which it is as well, but in my case it is definitely Dutch and my skin & hair color et al proves the point). In fact, because I don't have a "typical American name" I periodically don't always feel included in the "BIA" club. My sister, for example, always hated our last name and was SO HAPPY to marry a man with the last name "Anderson" (from whom she is now divorced albeit has kept the last name). I myself don't care anymore about my last name, or telling people how to pronounce it, etc. In fact, when I encounter people who trying to marginalize me because of my name it simply tells me that they are NOT "true Americans." This club is NOT about supremacy, not about your last name, not about your skin color. You can be a Gonzalez, a Van Gogh, a Wang Chung, or a Smith-Jones and be in this club as long as you are BORN HERE. This is NOT about a test for eligibility for presidency. Maybe you were born in Korea to American parents who were assigned to the military at the time. In such cases if you are declared American at birth, regardless, you can belong to this club. We're not splitting hairs here. And I will leave it at that for now. Stay tuned for more information. God bless you and God bless America!